Wednesday, January 09, 2013

RISE of the GUARDIANS post 05 (Jack and Pitch)

Very early on (2008)I started exploring the dynamics of the characters in the film. Here is some of my first rough exploration of Jack and Pitch in a proposed sequence where they would meet for the first time . Below) Jack sits in a tree, staring at the moon, contemplating where he belongs.
A mysterious stranger arrives. Jack plays a game of cat and mouse as he assesses the dark entities’ motives. This is Pitch, and he has a proposal for jack.
I was pushing to NOT treat Pitch like a man in a costume (Read post 01.) In our story Pitch was supposed to be weak and losing power because fewer and fewer kids believe in him. With that in mind, I proposed that Pitch should LOOK physically weak as well. Amorphous, un-whole, and ever-changing Pitch would need to gain power to become solid again. Below) a ghostly , spider-ish Pitch attempts to lure Jack to his side. Pitch could use Jack’s physical help as well as his connection to earths children. (Jack was not on anyone’s side in our early versions of the story)
A fearless jack laughs at Pitch’s proposal. I proposed that laughter might have a physical affect on Pitch, breaking up his form and causing pitch to draw back a bit in this image.
In the end, none of these visual ideas made it to the final film, but it was sure fun to explore the possibilities. More on the development of Rise of the Guardians soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

While I enjoyed the filmed immensely, I feel that it would have made things more interesting if Pitch was a weakened character with no form. I also wish that the relationship between Jack and Pitch was developed more. I think Jack chose a side pretty quickly, but it being a movie, I understand the time constraints.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

Hi,

I saw your concept art at Tumblr and it´s amazing!

I´m mounting a Rise of the Guardians page on Facebook, and I´d like to show off this art. Many people would do this without even thinking, but I like asking the artists, whenever is possible. I´d post a link to your blog, then.

1:53 AM  
Blogger city said...

thanks for share.

2:31 AM  
Blogger SHANE PRIGMORE said...

Thanks for the comments and thoughts everyone.

HELENA- Thanks, and I would be honored to have my work as part of that page.

Much more from Rise of the Guardians over the next year. And lots of new stuff from other upcoming projects as well.

Thanks for visiting

-Shane

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home